As you can see Chloe was pretty excited at the prospect of her very first Barbie! I had waited until Ben was out and Amy asleep before I introduced her to her new toy so that we could really explore the features without being disturbed. I also suggested that she might want to keep Barbie upstairs in her bedroom so that she didn’t suffer at the hands of Amy – clearly an 18 month old toddler and a Barbie will never be a match made in heaven!
At first I just talked to Chloe about Barbie and her dog, how she might play with her – I didn’t show her any of the water features! I don’t know about you but the idea of water didn’t really appeal to me in this instance – too much scope for spillage! Chloe spent some time talking to the dog, role playing grooming the puppy etc. I quite enjoyed watching her and seeing how she played. After a little while I offered to add some water to the dog’s bath but didn’t actually tell Chloe anything would happen. She was really excited to realise that the pup changed colour! In all honesty the colour changing is most effective if you just run the dog under the hot / cold tap but that’s not really in the spirit of play is it.
What we loved about it:
* Chloe thought Barbie’s dress was gorgeous
* I liked that Barbie’s shoes didn’t fall off the second we got her out of the box!
* The vanity stand is surprisingly stable
* The effects of the warm / cold water is really exciting and I particularly appreciate that it’s not a permanent change so the play value is ongoing
What we weren’t so keen on:
* I’m not a massive fan of water and dolls – however Chloe thought all the colour changing was fabulous and she knows she’s not allowed the water in her bedroom.
* Chloe found the little brush a bit frustrating as it was hard to get it to stay in Barbie’s hand – I ended up securing it with a tiny little elastic band from the packaging.
All in all Chloe loves her first Barbie and I’m sure we’ll be investing in more as time goes by!
*Disclaimer – We were sent this toy free of charge for the purposes of review however all thoughts and opinions remain our own*