In each of my previous reviews I’ve been really impressed with the contents of the boxes – with the range of brands and the different types of products. I love the surprise element of subscription boxes and I’m always excited to open up my box and dive in to explore the month’s goodies.
I’m afraid to say that this has been my least favourite box so far – I think a big part of that is that it felt there was less in it (though I appreciate this will be to do with the combined value of the products) and that actually there was just a lot of stuff I really didn’t like – which is of course down to personal taste.
What was in the box:
1. Estrellla Damm – I’m not a lager drinker myself (I’m sure that’s not really much of a surprise) so this was one for Dave. He said it was ok, a pretty average lager, and was really surprised when I told him it was valued at £4, yes that’s right £4 a can, more then your average pint in a bar!?
2. Elizabeth Shaw – I love a bit of amaretto so really enjoyed the subtle flavouring to these chocolate batons
3. Urban Fruit – Pineapple – I do love dried fruit. But this stuff goes one better and is baked. It’s lush.
4. Bear – Ben and Chloe loved these crunchy cereal letters – I was less amused that breakfast took far longer when they were eating it as they kept trying to spell things! They’ve since tried it dry as a snack too (when we had more time for spelling!)
5. Veetee – Dave wouldn’t dream of using microwave rice . . . I would. This is ideal for me to keep in the cupboard for the nights Dave isn’t here!
6. Dr. Oetker – I think Dr. Oetker make really quality baking products. The idea of having your vanilla in a pepper type grinder is genius!
7. Lambrini – Strawberry flavoured lambrini . . . I’m still breastfeeding and to be honest was glad of the excuse not to have to try this one! I don’t do sparkling wine (or wine-style drink as it is labelled) anyway and adding strawberry flavouring is just the nail in the coffin for me!
8. Be Fast – I just can’t bring myself to try this. The info with my box suggested I should find two flavours but unfortunately both of mine were banana and I can’t bear banana so these bottles are sitting in the fridge waiting for someone else to drink them!
9. Shaken Udder – This is a repeat from a previous box but I didn’t mind that as Ben and Chloe had really enjoyed the Shaken Udder milks
What we loved:
* Again there was a good mix of products
* There were several familiar brands but also some new ones – I liked this balance.
* As has been the case previously most of the products in the box are “store cupboard” type items to there’s no rush to get them all used at once.
* Everything was extremely carefully packaged with no damage whatsoever.
What we weren’t so keen on:
* As someone who isn’t drinking at the moment having two alcoholic products in the box was a bit much for me
* I felt the recipe cards were a bit tenuous this month
Whilst this month has been my least favourite of the Degustaboxes I’ve received I can’t fault the service. It’s great value and a fab way to try out some new products – some of which you will love and some you might not. It just so happens that this month didn’t really suit my tastes. I’m looking forward to seeing what July’s box will bring.
If you’d like to try a Degustabox for yourself you can use the code GDBQW for a £3 discount.