It’s my birthday. Whoo. I’m thirty-flipping-seven years old today. A good friend of mine from primary school turned 37 last Friday and when I wished her Happy Birthday she replied with “We’re nearly 40 now!“. No. No we’re not. Wash your mouth out love.
Except we kind of are.
40 is not that far away now.
I don’t mind I suppose. Getting older doesn’t bother me in that I’m really content with where my life is and the things I’ve achieved. I think what does bother me is the speed at which time is slipping away. The birthdays come round quicker every year.
In honour of my 37th birthday I’m sharing with you 37 things I’ve learned during my time on the earth:
- Buy cheap, buy twice
- You can only spend it once
- You will end up turning into your parents (and that’s not a bad thing)
- I’m not good at being drunk
- Hangovers aren’t worth it
- I can’t use fake tan
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is
- Don’t waste your time on one-sided friendships
- Mushrooms are the work of the devil
- Manners cost nothing
- Being nice will get you a long way in life
- Sarcasm might be the lowest form of wit but it makes me laugh
- Your skin will age faster than you think
- Take the time to stay in touch with people who matter
- There’s ‘a rat’ in separate – I spelt it wrong for years!
- Always protect your “No Claims Discount”
- Washing dried on the line is the nicest thing ever
- Learning to touch-type is a ridiculously useful skill
- Tooth ache sucks
- People can’t spell Colette
- You can’t beat live music
- Comparison is the thief of all joy
- Building work always takes longer than you think
- There’s more to life than teaching
- Google is your friend
- You will miss your perky boobs when they’re gone!
- I love recording our memories
- Honesty is the best policy
- Diet coke isn’t a good substitute for water
- Wine is horrible
- Gin isn’t
- Good lipstick is worth spending money on
- How to get blu-tac out of hair
- Slugs are impossible to get rid of if they decide to live in your house
- Taking time for yourself isn’t selfish, it’s necessary
- The internet and procrastination are the best of friends
- Having kids was the making of me
I am sure I have learned plenty more over the course of my lifetime – most of which I’ve forgotten already – but these are the ones that spring to mind this morning. Here’s to another 37 years of learning . . .