The build up to birth . . .

Well “Beak” has been here for almost two weeks now.  I guess it’s time I “put pen to paper” so to speak and document her arrival beyond my original post announcing her birth.

Photo Credit: jasleen_kaur via Compfight cc

As I’ve mentioned in previous posts I have been on medication for my blood pressure since I was about 12 weeks pregnant.  It remained relatively settled and I was told several times that the dose I was on was so low it was barely worth bothering.  In the final weeks it started to sneak up a bit so my usual midwife arranged for more regular checks.  On the Wednesday it was sitting at 150/100 and I was told to rest, Saturday it was more sensible again and all was fine, Monday it was back to 150/100 and the midwife who was visiting me felt things were somewhat more urgent and packed me off to the hospital!  I thought she was being over dramatic when she wouldn’t let me drive myself there and she told me that years ago with bp that high and the protein level in my wee being what it was she would have been phoning me an ambulance.  Of course I felt absolutely fine but had to go along with it all anyway.

I had to phone Dave at work – leaving a message with a colleague to “phone his wife but not to panic”, phone our childminder to arrange for her to collect the kids from school for me and then phone of my best friends to ask him to come and take me to the hospital.  What a hoo-haa.  Now you would of course expect that by the time I had sorted all of this and got myself to the hospital that my bp would have been through the roof but in fact when they hooked me up to all the monitors it was fine – pretty much normal in fact!  I had my bp taken every 15 minutes for two hours and it was FINE.  Baby’s heartbeat was fine, movements were fine.  ALL FINE.  Except that ever present protein urea . . . So what did they do?  Kept me in over night!?

So I spent a sweaty night in a rubbery hospital bed with people moaning, groaning and tapping on their phones all through the night.  My bp was checked twice more, my medication doubled and I was sent home again the following morning.  All a bit pointless.  I was however thrilled to be discharged as it meant I could go to my pre-op and get myself home to wash my hair, write some lists for my Mum and get a good night’s sleep (or as good as anyone can at 39 weeks pregnant!) in preparation for what was to come the next day . . .



  1. November 18, 2013 / 10:44 pm

    Ooh, thought you were quiet prior to Amy's arrival! Look forward to reading the rest x

    • November 18, 2013 / 10:49 pm

      I was sitting in my hospital bed being grumpy about my imprisonment but not wanting anyone to know I was there lol.

  2. November 19, 2013 / 7:00 am

    I had a similar experience with my eldest. Looking forward to the rest of the post.

  3. James Gibson
    November 19, 2013 / 8:51 pm

    What happens the next day ! Glad bp was alright ! My wife had to stay overnight for what she thought to be pointless reasons with our third born.

  4. November 19, 2013 / 9:45 pm

    Oooh you're leaving us in suspense! Can't wait to read the rest x

  5. November 20, 2013 / 7:34 am

    Like a soap opera ending and we have to wait for the next episode to find out what happens next! 🙂

  6. November 20, 2013 / 9:57 am

    Fab post – looking forward to next instalment

  7. November 20, 2013 / 10:01 am

    Oh, my goodness! All go then. Good that they were thorough, but a little frustrating for you. Look forward to the next post..

  8. katefever
    November 20, 2013 / 10:31 am

    Wondered why you were so quiet that last week 😉

    • November 20, 2013 / 1:32 pm

      I tried hard not to be. I was in hospital while you were stalking lol.

  9. November 20, 2013 / 1:53 pm

    All's well that ends well. Or is there another twist in the tail? #MMWBH

  10. November 20, 2013 / 7:13 pm

    Horrible to be in hospital – you can never get any rest there or get comfortable.

  11. Sara Murray
    November 20, 2013 / 9:08 pm

    Oh,can't wait to hear the rest of the story 🙂 #MMWBH

  12. November 24, 2013 / 12:38 pm

    Ooh having reread this, I am keen for more of the story, sounds tough at the time.

  13. Wicked World of Lucas
    November 25, 2013 / 11:05 am

    Cannot wait for the next instalment. Glad it all went OK.

  14. November 25, 2013 / 8:56 pm

    I never wrote The Boy's birth story down, and sometimes it's easy to forget the bits that lead up to the actual birth. Hope your blood pressure didn't deviate too much from what it should have been.

    Popping over from blogsRus.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.