Now please, before we go any further, don’t go thinking this is some massive anti formula feeding post . . . You all know that I’ve happily breastfed all three of my children and this is just a lighthearted post about what makes formula feeding tricky for me as we wean Amy from the breast . . .
5 things I hate about bottle feeding
* Needing to be organised – With a boob it’s just there and ready isn’t it? For the last 9 months I’ve just fed her when she wanted, where she wanted without really having to think about it. Now I have to keep an eye on the time, I have to make sure there’s a bottle sterilised and ready to use, I have to remember to take even more stuff with me when we go out . . .
* Constantly scalding myself – see above. I almost never remember to sterilise the bottle before I need it leading to regular incidents of scalding. Last Thursday was a case in point where I managed to pour boiling water from a pan all over my fingers by accidentally flicking the teat upside down whilst trying to get it out of the pan (It would probably help if I had a proper steam steriliser but I always did it with that too by opening it too soon and letting the steam out all over my hands).
* The cost – Breast milk clearly costs nothing. Having fed the little lady for free for months it hurts to add the cost of formula to the shopping bill! Add to that the cost of trying a million bottles to find out she likes . . .
* The waste – She so rarely drains her bottle so there’s always an ounce or four left over (Not that Thomas is complaining as he’s quite happy to have it on his biscuits) This is obviously all the more frustrating when you are considering the fact you’ve paid for the milk in the first place!
* It means she’s growing up – Watching Amy grab hold of the bottle and feed herself to independently is of course amazing but its also just a bit sad as it means she doesn’t need me quite so much any more. Breastfeeding was all about me and Bo, nobody else could do that very special thing for her.
However despite the cost and scalded fingers I’m glad that she’s finally taking her bottle and we’re starting to wean her off the breast, the time is right for both of us.