It has become somewhat of a tradition in our family to attend the Press Family Day at York Races
each September. We first took Ben when he was just over a year old and have been every year but one since. Each year we have struck lucky with the weather and this year was no exception. I can’t say I was quite so lucky with the horses!
We popped Amy in the Beco Soleil V2 as one of the straps was missing on the pushchair. To make life easier for me, Grandad got in on the baby wearing – I think it suited him! Amy was certainly happy in there and had a good sleep while we were watching the races.
|Grandad trys out a bit of baby wearing!|
Ben and Chloe chose a horse in each race and we put them a £2 bet on – Chloe didn’t quite “get” the whole idea of a race and was really quite upset that her horse didn’t win. Once she got over the disappointment of the first race she kept asking “Is my horse going to win?” but didn’t understand that the whole point was that we didn’t know and we were just guessing which ones we thought might run the fastest. She had one horse come in second, luckily one we had put an each way bet on, so she won a few quid but didn’t really grasp that bless her.
|This is what your face looks like when your horse doesn’t win . . .|
As Ben is obviously older he remembers having been to the races before and was much more aware of what was going on. Of course he understood that he couldn’t always win, and would in fact be lucky to win at all. He picked his horses (usually the ones wearing a green jersey unsurprisingly) and was fortunate enough to have a win. (He has since spent his winnings on some new Lego)
|The moment he realised his horse had won!|
|Everyone’s a winner!|
I chose horses for Amy (purely based on their names – I’m not one for studying form) and we managed to get a place so she won a few quid too – Aunty Nic was the big winner of the day though and won three out of six races! She treated everyone to an ice cream with her winnings because she’s lovely like that.
|Strawberry ice cream|
|The last race of the day|
It was a really lovely way to end the summer and I’m sure Family Day at York Races is a tradition we will continue to uphold for years to come!
So far our Autumn 2014 looks like this . . .
- Watch Chloe start Nursery 03.09.14
- See Ben settle into his Year 1 class & new childcare arrangements
- Enjoy some Mummy & Amy time
- Family Day at York races (we missed it last year for the first time since Ben was born) 07.09.14
- Collect conkers – this was a massive fail last year so we need to try again!
- Move into the extension & host an extension warming party!
- Attend Harvest Festival at school
- Start Chloe’s swimming lessons
- Start dance lessons for Ben
- Depending on the state of our garden I’d like to plant some bulbs for Spring!
- Kick leaves – a standard Autumn activity of course!
- Splash in puddles – obviously!
- Enjoy getting wrapped up in jumpers and hats
- Celebrate bonfire night
- Make soup
- Blow dragon breath
- Stop breastfeeding
- Get back to work two days a week
- Autumn crafts
- Celebrate Amy’s 1st birthday (did I really just write that?)
- Keep going on that long hard “Wedding Weight” slog