We are big fans of Orchard Toys and we were thrilled to be sent one of their newest products, the Who’s in Space? jigsaw to try out.
When I showed Ben his new jigsaw his immediate response was “WOW!” Now Ben is a bit of a master with jigsaws and has been doing 50+ piece jigsaws since his third birthday (he even has a couple of 100 piece jigsaws in his collection now) so I have to admit that I was a bit worried that he would find this 25 piece jigsaw overly simple and have it done in minutes.
Ben put the jigsaw together without using the picture on the box for help. I would say it probably took him about ten minutes the first time. I love watching the look of concentration on his face as he checks the pieces and slots them all together. The pieces are nice and chunky so you know it will withstand being put together over and over and over again. The picture is complex enough that he did have to think and it took him longer than I expected. (Admittedly the second time he did it was considerably quicker!)
Once the jigsaw is completed there is plenty to talk about – I pointed out Earth and asked Ben if he knew what it was, he said “That’s our world!” and then spotted it on the flag as well which he was really exited about. We talked about the different planets using the box for extra information. He pointed out the “boy spaceman” and the “girl spaceman” – we talk about how they are actually called “astronauts”. I was amused that he asked me why the girl was fixing the satellite and not the boy! How soon these gender stereotypes set in!!
* The pieces are chunky and sturdy – they’ll survive being used over and over
* The picture is bright and colourful – with an exciting theme
* There’s so much to talk about on the jigsaw – good for developing knowledge & understanding of the world (teacher head on there)
* Good for fine motor skills and manual dexterity – manipulating the pieces into place
What we weren’t so keen on?
* Ben would benefit from a jigsaw with more pieces but it’s a great jigsaw for your average 3 year old!
To sum up – when I asked Ben what he thought of his new jigsaw he replied “Cooooool!”
* I was sent this product free of charge to review. All thoughts and opinions are my own (and Ben’s!)*