At the end of last year I wrote a post looking back over the year and I thought it would be a really nice thing to do again this year – it has been a pretty busy one!
2013 – for me it was the year I continued to appreciate my new ‘work life balance’ which meant I was no longer driving over two hours and 80 miles a day, no longer working full time hours, no longer feeling horribly stressed by a job I used to love. Instead I was never driving more than about 10 miles to work and more often it would be less than 5! I built up a number of “regular” schools where I got to know the children and staff so still felt part of a team. I got to really enjoy all the bits of teaching I love with a whole lot less of the stuff I’m not so keen on! I got the chance to take Ben to school regularly and attend his assemblies and can now do the same with Chloe as she has started Nursery too. Leaving my full time teaching post in 2012 was possibly one of the best decisions I ever made.
What else? Oh yeah – I got pregnant again!! Much of 2013 has focused around being pregnant and the arrival of our gorgeous little Amy Vee. It seems really strange to look back to this time last year and think I wasn’t even pregnant yet here she is.
At 4 years and 5 months what do we know about Ben?
* He’s at school full time
* Number is his thing – his grasp of number always amazes me – for example he told us 5+1 makes 6, when we asked if he could make 6 another way he said “3 twos” or last week I asked him ways of making 4 and after telling me 3+1 and 2+2 he went on to add 5 and one less, 6 sweets and eat 2 . . . I was stunned!
* He’s much happier about mark making and will now write for a purpose
* He is really good at breaking down words he has heard into sounds for spelling
* He recognises most of the letters in the alphabet and knows the sound they make
* He is polite and rarely needs reminding to use his manners
And Chloe at 2 years and 5 months . . .
* Chloe goes to Nursery three times a week
* Can do a poo & a wee on the potty – she chooses to do this when we change her at bedtime or first thing in the morning and uses the toilet at Nursery but we are not pushing this at home for now.
* Her language has improved in leaps and bounds – she speaks in sentences, refers to herself as “me” (Me do it myself) She makes herself understood
* Can count to 10
* Likes to help out
* LOVES her little sister – “My Amy”
* Great eater – but doesn’t like chilli!
* Knows her own mind
* Makes a good attempt at dressing herself independently
* Peter Rabbit is her favourite tv character
Amy at 7 weeks old . . .
* Very alert – bright eyed and busy tailed!
* She’s smiling – but mainly only for Mummy and Daddy
* Starting to make very cute little cooing noises
* Generally sleeps from about 11pm – 7am with just one feed around 4am
* Loves the boob!
Here’s to a very busy 2014 of adventures, laughs and learning for my little people.